Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Thursday, January 3, 2013

More Fun with Plastic Animals

Hello all -- and Happy Happy New Year! I hope you had a fabulous holiday. I just did my first load of laundry in a week, and it was nothing but pajamas....a sure sign of a fabulous time off! We are slowly venturing out of the house, and savoring every last moment of this Winter Break.

I have managed to walk to the mailbox though, and was thrilled to find WalMart's new publication, Kids Crafts 1-2-3. The editors were drawn to my addiction of painting plastic animals, and asked me to contribute to this issue.

kids craft 123

The challenge was to create two kid's projects, using items found in the WalMart craft aisle. I'll admit, I'm more of a Target than WalMart girl, but I was pleasantly surprised by their inventory of supplies. Since the editors were so smitten with my Elephant Bookends, I whipped up a set suitable for tween girls.

 animal bookends

The supplies were simple...craft paint, decorative duck tape, plastic animals, rocks and glue.

 animal bookends

Since the craft projects are intended for kids, I recruited a little helper....especially since she caught me raiding her toys. Again.

 animal bookends

We gave the horses several coats of acrylic paint (spray paint would be much easier and faster, but not really appropriate for small kids), and wrapped the rocks in bright duck tape.

 animal bookends

I couldn't resist painting gold boots before hot-gluing the horses to the rocks.

 animal bookends

They turned out even cuter than I'd hoped, and I was sad to ship them off. Babygirl already has a spot in her room picked out for them.

 animal bookends

The second project was even easier than the first...and of course, involved more plastic animals.

 boys trinket jars

Paint, glue and empty baby food jars were all we needed. The hardest part was getting the labels off the jars.

 animal bookends

After painting the lids, we hot-glued their little feet in place. Aren't they adorable? I can picture them on a boy's bookshelf, filled with nasty sweet little treasures.

boys trinket jars

 boys trinket jars

So I guess I'm now officially the crazy plastic animal lady, but it was fun to be included in the Kids Craft 1-2-3 Magazine, and I'm so grateful for opportunities like these. I know it's because of them that so many of you have found your way over to this little corner of the blog world.

And a HUGE thank you to my top referrers of 2012, because without them, my mom would likely be my only reader. I am inspired and encouraged by you, and I'm so grateful that you stop by, read, comment, email, and even lurk.

These sweet and supportive bloggers have Hi Sugarplum on their blogrolls, and I welcome their readers everyday:


And these rockstar sites have featured my projects over the past year, and have sent oodles of readers my way.


23 comments:

  1. Those dinosaur jars are PERFECT for Carter. I will be doing this for sure! And those horse bookends? So chic!
    You wear the title of "crazy plastic animal lady" well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so exciting Cassie!!! The book ends are AWESOME. I'm totally into their boots :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey crafting rockstar. Congrats. Love that your laundry consisted of pjs. A nice week indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great accomplishment, congrats Cassie!!

    Love the gold boots...every horse should have gold boots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome girlie! Those trinket jars are the cutest things ever!! Makes me want to have another little boy - kind of - but not really. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great projects, and congrats on the feature!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those book ends! The duct tape totally makes them (and the cute gold feet!). Where do you buy all your animals? I have such a hard time finding them. Michael's has a bunch but they are close to $10 each. Our Wal-mart and dollar stores don't have them very often either....it's a strange phenomenon. Maybe it's a Canadian thing....
    WE are getting a Target in a few months, so I am really hoping that they might have them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm completely in love with those little dino jars! And how perfect for a craft project for the kiddies!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so creavtive, friend! Love the little jars for boys! Those would make such an easy gift!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahaha. I love the load of laundry. Same over here. Those are darling, Cassie. Such great little jars. So clever you are!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the bookends! Will WalMart be sending them back then so Babygirl can put them in her room? Kudos to WalMart if so! And kudos to you! Congratulations on this neat accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the article! And, to think, I knew you before you became the crazy animal lady :) Thanks for the link, too, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So creative and fun- love them both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations! I think you've inspired this non-DIY'er to DIY some elephant bookends for my stepdaughter. Once again, your talent and creativity is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable, and I absolutely love the gold boots! Sounds like you might be doing another toy raid soon so your daughter has some for her room :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cassie! Why have I never left yo a comment before???? I feel like I know you! Sheaffer talks about you all.the.time., so it's only natural that I would automatically adore you :). I'm not the crafty mom...so I'm super impressed with today's post. Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How incredibly cute! That decorative duck tape is awesome, I always want to buy some to try it out. Congrats on being published!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on the article, baller! The bookends and jars are too cute. But I am definitely going to have to duct tape a few rocks! They look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those came out so cute! I love all the fun colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. congratulations cassie!!! You're definitely in my Blog Love spot, adding you to my blogroll right now ;)

    I AdORe your blog!!!

    TheJugglingTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on the feature. (I just love the little gold boots!)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. And unfortunately, because of insane amounts of spam, I've had to disable Anonymous comments for awhile. I just didn't need any more information on penis enlargements! But you can always email me! xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k