Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Monday, October 24, 2011

The Ugly, The Bad & The Good

Hello, hello! How was your weekend? We took a little quickie family trip to San Francisco! (Thanks to airline wars for the cheapo fares!) And while we're heading back today, there is already a flurry of activity waiting for us at home.

Behold, THE UGLY:

100_5743


Ugh. This is our third bathroom (I don't think I've ever shown it on the blog), that is in the back of the house by the garage door. It's small, but perfect because it also opens to the backyard pool. Mr. Sugarplum recently noticed some wrinkling in the wall, so like men without forethought do, he started poking and pulling on it. Well, the tile and wall started crumbling under his fingers until I came in and screamed asked him, ever so sweetly, to stop.

THE BAD:

100_5744


We called our contractor (the geniuses behind our Kitchen Reno), and discovered that there is some kind of leak in the shower. The surrounding wall is rotting, and the only way to fix it is to rip it all out. Yep, the tiny little bathroom in the back of the house that only gets used when we're swimming, is getting a little upgrade. Not the Master Bath, but the Third Bath!?

But there is a bright side. We aren't overhauling the bathroom, but I do get to choose new tile. And there's an even better part....

THE GOOD:

living room plan

Remember this pic from my Living Room plans (which I guess are now on hold), when I mentioned closing up the pass-thru from the Living Room to the Den? I always assumed it was a big (i.e. expensive) ordeal to close it, so I tried to make peace with it.

100_5766

Unfortunately, no matter what I do to the room, every time I walk in it's like neon lights blinking at me from the opening.

100_5765

So on a whim, I asked my contractor what it might cost to enclose it. He said he'd already be here repairing the bathroom, he'd throw it in for....wait for it..............

$100!!! That's one hundred dollars! To fix the eyesore that's bothered me from the day we moved in! Needless to say, I wrote him a check on the spot. And might have squealed and hugged him, too.

He also noticed I was trying out new paint colors in the Den, and hooked me up with his painter, who quoted me a too-good-to-be-true price (the ceilings are pitched in there, no way is this girl painting it!)


9-27-11 023

I figure I'm not detouring from the Living Room makeover, since the orange of the Den overflows in. So while gutting half a bathroom wasn't in our immediate plans, some pretty good stuff is coming out of it. I can't wait to get home and see the progress...and show you, too!

22 comments:

  1. What a great value cost for sorting that out! I love the white bricks, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippeee!! It's always a plus when something good comes from something bad. Can't wait to see what tile you choose and the new wall color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's usually how it goes at our house...we call it "Project Snowball". I know you will be glad to get it done, and just in time for the holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about your bathroom...at least it will be all new and pretty soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pain to have to deal with the leak and overhaul of the bathroom, but super excited for you that the hole in the living room will be closed in AND you get the dining room painted! Very fun stuff!!! Can't wait to see how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. $100, now that is a deal! Sorry about that bathroom, but on the bright side, it will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous outcome from a bad situation! $100 is a steal and I'm sure you'll appreciate the new third bath with time, too.

    P.S. I pinned, created and blogged about your mummy lights. (http://kevinandsavannah.blogspot.com/2011/10/camera-phone-fun-mummy-lights.html) Thanks for the inspiration - I LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh....tile. Just ugh. However, $100 for peace of mind and a happier entrance to your home each and every day? Yay! I'd have squeezed him too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bummer about the bathroom, but I love a great tile upgrade and it definitely paid off with the living room getting a facelift too! Very cool!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bummer with the bathroom but so exciting that you'll get the wall done and the painting. Trying to figure out if I can tackle our ceilings over here? Hmm. Hope ya'll had a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo hoo for husbands just ripping into things...so happy for you that your drive-up window is going to disappear!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Water issues are no fun, we have had our own. It will be good to get it all fixed though. Btw..I have the same armoire. Yours came out really pretty with the blue paint. Can't wait to see the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hooray for the GOOD that comes out of bad... can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ya, not great news about the bathroom - although it will be nice to have it done! I'm so glad my guy is so handy, he would have had that wall closed off the week we moved in. So awesome you're finally getting it done so you can love your room :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! What a steal. Definitely worth the $100! What a difference it will make. Can't wait to see. Hope you had a blast in my hometown!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want your contractor! The same thing happened in my bathroom this summer and it was a nightmare! We had to rip out the whole shower and reinstall it. Our repairman was awful and the job is still not totally finished. 3/4 of the way through the handyman disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again. At least we never got a bill!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is awesome. So happy for you. I love crossing things off my list.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to hear about the trip. Bummer about the shower, but sounds like some exciting things will happen as a result!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe its only $100 to fill that in! Can't wait to see the final results. The living room is really looking amazeballs. The blue chest is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is awesome about the $100 fix! I can't wait to see it! And I bet your trip was awesome! You gonna post some pics for us?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Woohoo! That's going to be so fun to fix up and to fix your hole you don't like! :) Love it when good estimates come in from contractors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. $100? oh come on... be honest now, you showed him some cleavage, didn't you? :) that's great and your place is looking so so great!

    and- hello, of course you are on my blog roll! it's actually called my: "bloggers-who-i-actually-awkwardly-feel-like-are-my-good-friends-list.

    haha. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k