Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Some Things Are Better Left to the Pros

I will paint anything that stands still. And I've used a glue gun on more things than I care to admit. But when it comes to the hard-core projects, I don't DIY. And I certainly don't let Mr. Sugarplum do it, either! I don't mess around with load-bearing walls and jack-hammering tile. Especially when I have a rockstar contractor who works faster than I can blog it!

This is not a pretty post, but it's behind-the-scenes and progress. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can catch-up on this un-planned project here.)

100_5810

Gah! I can't even imagine trying to rip all that out!! And thank goodness I have the pros on it, since most of the wood was wet and rotting, they had to replace the entire side of the bathroom. Not to mention the plumbing they have to do on the faulty drain and shower head. Dang, am I ever going to miss those big plastic knobs on brass plates! (You read that as sarcasm, right?)


100_5811


The good news just keeps piling up on this project though. Turns out the corner of the bathroom is completely unused space. Huh, good choice Mr. Builder.

100_5809

So that wall came out, too, and I'm getting floor-to-ceiling linen cabinets! Yay for more room to store crap!


100_5815


And you see this greatness?


100_5819


Hole? What hole?! TWSS They popped this piece of something up (sorry for my lack of vocabulary, but I have no idea what I'm talking about with this kind of stuff!), and are going to work some magic to make it blend with the rest of the wall!

100_5818

I'm pretty psyched about what's happening on the other side, too. Not to mention grateful that I didn't attempt it myself.

100_5817


And after hearing so many horror stories of renovations gone bad, I can't sing the praises of my contractor enough! What types of projects do you leave to the pros?

24 comments:

  1. i agree!!! we have our go-to guy and i just know that his job will be much better than our on some things.... and if it is aproject i really want longevity out of then i want it done right the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you do with the shower area!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You've wanted to say goodbye to that opening forever! What a great surprise project.
    We leave anything electrical to the pros. Not taking any chances with anything that is structural or could cause a fire, thankyouverymuch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been through that bathroom scenario more times than I care to recount!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fortunately for me, the Lusty Woodsman IS the pro. Your project brings back memories of our bathroom remodel. Oh, the odor, oh, the "WTH's", it was an oddly entertaining adventure. We discovered why there wasn't a linen closet (it became the fireplace for the dining room), we found 4 different types of flooring, and managed to solve other mysteries of previous "renovations." I'm glad you found awesome pro's to handle your "WTH's"...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah we leave the hard stuff to the pros too! Woo to the hoo for that unexpected space you found in the bathroom! Extra storage is always a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so eager to see all of the results! I know this isn't the fun part....but having a new bathroom WITH linen closet, the hole finally gone, and a new painted den..oh my! I'm super excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Looks like it's all coming together :-) We don't do anything ourselves really, but where I live we build houses out of brick, steel and concrete so there is not much to do without special machinery and tools anyway ;-) Plus, we have 16 left hands between the four of us and only those "useless" top-heavy friends ;-)

    Relatable Style

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uh, that would be 8 left hands. Seeing how good I am at counting it's no surprise I don't lay hands on my house :-D

    Relatable Style

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anything electrical (staying alive is sort of important) and any demolition... all pro-stuff around here! I'm used to tearing down walls but you're hole-no-more looks pretty tempting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wowie! This is a major overhaul! You are definitely super blessed to have a rockstar contractor because you definitely want it done right! Can't wait to see it all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really coming together!! Yay! My hubby and his dad actually did a majority of our house renovations. We didn't mess with installing cabinets/granite/glass show enclosures, but everything else was DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Girl, that is too exciting. YAY for finding unused awesomeness for a linen closet!

    I have a pro, I refer to him as my "boyfriend" and no, my hubs doesn't mind one bit :) He is the one I call when chop saws and/or plumbing is involved like when hubs removed a wall and a big old black plumbing pipe that was NOT on our houseplans showed up. GULP!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So so so jealous of you right now! A bathroom reno sounds like so much fun! Have you selected all the finished already?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Couldn't agree more...there is definitely a time and place for the professionals- can't WAIT to see all of this come together!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! This is coming along and hurrah for the living room hole being gone!

    And I seriously lost it with your TWSS comment in there. OMG. Love you. Thanks for making today a little less Thursday-ey.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so lucky that my honey actually is a pro! The only downside is how long I usually have to wait for him to have time to do the renos on our own house!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We've had a lot of electrical things to fix & I would not let my husband do it! We want to get our bathroom done, but have had other detours from it. I would not DIY either!!!!

    Can't wait to see the final product!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for the contractor! Sometimes you just need to know when to call in a pro.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sweet linen closet!! Totally jealous. And that piece of something they popped up is drywall =D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can you image how stressed you would be if you were doing that yourself!! I LOVE handymen that I can just tell what to do!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Woah! Yes somethings are definitely left to the experts! We are leaving plastering to the pros but annoyingly still have to strip all the wallpaper off first!! Thats the job for this weekend!!
    Rachie xo
    PS: Cant wait to see it finished! xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lots of fun happening at your place! We leave those things that can kill us - like electricity or knocking down walls - to the pros. Leaves us more time to do the fun DIY stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You must be so pumped!! I bet you can barely sleep at night waiting for these major changes to be finished.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k