Main Navigation

 photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-Home.png photo HiSugarplum-Projects.png photo HiSugarplum-Organize.png photo HiSugarplum-Holiday.png photo HiSugarplum-Fashion.png photo HiSugarplum-MainNav-travel.png

Ad - Header Leaderboard

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

{Babygirl's Room} Painting the Ceiling

Thanks for your comments on the Canvas Art yesterday...I do love that picture of Babygirl. It really shows her personality, and I think the quirky shot keeps it from looking like a shrine to her.

Okay, so remember when I so cleverly thought I'd add a white stripe around the top perimeter of her room, to give the illusion of crown molding? I assumed all white paints were created equal...Ahem.

100_2068

Turns out they aren't. So that hot mess left me with no choice but to paint the ceiling. The plus side was I loved the idea of a color on the ceiling (aka the fifth wall), but would have never painted it without major incentive.

Well, I sucked it up this weekend and got 'er done!


100_2890

Because of 'Part 2' of the Faux Crown Molding (which I'll show you this week), I didn't have to be super careful when cutting in around the wall (for real this time!), so it went surprisingly fast.

Picnik collage

I chose Sisal by Martha Stewart, color matched to Home Depot Behr Paint + Primer flat finish. It's a beautiful, warm khaki color...kind of like, well, a sisal rug! And I'm not all that proud of my vents and switch plates, so I tend to paint them to camouflage.


100_2887

Here are the Golden Nuggets I learned for painting a ceiling:

1) Using an angled brush, I first cut in about 4" from the wall all the way around, and around the light fixture. This took about an hour, after which, I took a one week break.

2) I used a high-quality, thick Purdy roller for the remaining area, so I had no problems with splatter. It did, however, eat most of my paint and I blew through an entire quart in one coat! I think next time I'll use a lesser roller, and go slowly to avoid splatter.

3) My roller handle did extend, but I kept it at about 18" long and stood on a ladder to roll on the paint so I'd have better control.

4) My shoulder and neck started to burn about 1 minute, 32 seconds in, but I whined pushed through and finished the rolling in around 30 minutes.

5) Then I laid down on the floor whimpering to admire my work. It dried before I was ready to get up quickly, and I was able to see any spots that needed touching up.

6) Large amounts of wine and a Tylenol were quite helpful in relieving the crick in my neck and shoulder.

100_2891

But after all that (it really wasn't that bad), it was SO worth it! The difference in the room is amazing.

Picnik collage

Now I've got to do something about that light fixture! Have you ever painted a ceiling? Any Golden Nuggets you care to share with the class?

Update: See the final ceiling with crown molding here!

34 comments:

  1. I love the color on the ceiling we painted one of ours and I could remember the pain as I read your post! Your pain was well worth it I must say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started phase 1 of paint my sons ceiling... about 6 months ago :)! My plan was to do some fun stenciling on it but I haven't found the motivation to finish. Maybe I should pretentd I am michaelangelo and paint laying down...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors together. Looks great, Cassie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the colors you chose. And I love the idea of faux molding. It looks great now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boy do I feel your pain! My old condo had a popcorn ceiling and it sucked up paint like a sponge, so my father and I had to reapply and reapply. Needless to say darling little daughter remembered that she had other projects to do ;). I know, I know I should have helped more, but honestly I was 8 months pregnant and wow it was horribly uncomfortable. Diggin' your baby girls room even more now with the warm ceiling color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. J'adore...I love the look of it even more with another color for contrast! I hope you have recovered from your ceiling painting escapades...(c: It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. way to go, painting a ceiling is NOT easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your ceiling-painting-pain! It is not fun. But the room looks great! I love the colour you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it!! Hoping to paint the ceiling in our baby room, so will definitely bookmark these tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a better woman than I! Never could have pulled that off. Glad our evening of wine helped ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colour together too - its so fresh and lovely xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! And yes, I have, and never will again!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Incredible job Cassie!! It looks so so good! Love the 3 color contrast :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, girl. It looks great! It's all coming together! I've never painted a ceiling, nor do I wish to any time soon ha! You rocked it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that color, it turned out really nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man - I really don't like painting ceilings! Good for you - worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  17. we always paint all our ceilings. usually the wall color. i have slate walls and ceilings in most of the first floor and even chocolate brown walls and ceiling in master bath. i love painted ceilings. yours looks fantastic!
    my golden nugget for painting a ceiling... let your husband do it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. painting ceilings do suck, i feel your pain. my husband and i painted our whole condo in two days, i totally needed the tylenol and wine too.

    i tried an edger tool, Shur-Line's Edge Like a Pro, not expecting success, but found that it really made the cutting in process faster. However, you do need to go over the line the edger makes to blend it in (which we learned too late).

    i also think painting during the day helps you to see where you need more coverage. my poor bathroom ceiling doesn't look so hot, but, it does look better than before.

    http://youresomartha.wordpress.com/2011/01/25/operation-sell/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I also found out the hard way with white paint- I went to touch up the ceiling paint a few years ago, when someone visited and said "are those supposed to be clouds on your ceiling?" oops! Well, I also repainted the entire ceiling and decided to choose a color too- horizon by benjamin moore. It's a subtle gray/blue. I love what you've done with the room! great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the color combo! Painted a few ceilings in my day. I suggest using the flat paint pads. They look like the ones used to cut in at the ceiling with the little wheels on them but they are about the 10 inches wide. You won't have hardly any paint splatter and they use less paint...all information I should have shared with you earlier! Oops;). It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the colors together... so beachy and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I never mind painting, until it comes to ceilings! They take so long and are a complete pain...yours looks great! Bet you are glad this job is done! Janell

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just posted about painting a ceiling http://ourfifthhouse.blogspot.com/2011/02/5th-wall-painting-ceiling.html. I use a foam roller which helps with eliminating paint spatter and helps to keep the neck cramp away. But, wine - well that's a cure all - isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks amazing! I love the colors together! I'm excited to see what you find for a light fixture.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think you just gave me the nudge to paint my office ceiling! It looks so good- love the color you chose and how you painted the vents too! Of course, your sassiness had me giggling:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your blog, and your house! That sunshine dresser is beautiful and thank you so much for the tips on the canvas. Really hoping to have some 'candid' shots of me and my boyfriend blown up but like you said, it's expensive! Will def be trying this :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've actually never tackled a ceiling myself (paid someone else to do the ceiling in my bedroom and the nursery!). I'm impressed! And I really think that color was a smashing choice. Just enough contrast to be interesting (and show off the white stripe!) but not so much as to be jarring. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The ceiling looks great Cassie! The color goes great with the walls. Yes I've painted ceilings and I guess I am weird, but I actually don't mind it too much! ha

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm so scared to paint my ceilings any color but white. I love the look in your room, but crave the light that a white ceiling bounces around. Do you find the room dark? Any tips to help me get over my fear and utilize that 5th wall?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Angela -- your profile is blocked, so I'm not able to email you back regarding your question...hopefully you check here! :)

    My daughter's room isn't dark at all, the color of the ceiling did not affect the lighting. In fact, the difference between the walls and ceiling is one of my fave parts in the room! Perhaps start small, paint the ceiling in your powder room?

    ReplyDelete
  31. First, I am simply addicted to painted ceilings. If the ceiling isn't painted, the room looks unfinished. If the ceiling is painted, it looks like an interior designer came in and took over your house. Second, I always use one shade light than my wall paint color. (I never do, say, white on the ceiling of a peacock-blue room. Looks unfinished!) Usually using the next shade down on the paint chip works, but I'm also addicted to customizing paint at Home Depot, so I ask the paint mixer to "make it about 1/2 lighter than this color". It's amazing how the ceiling looks like it's the same color & no one notices, but the room seems so much lighter!!! Third, I do prefer using a long, metal painting rod (mine is about 4'-5'?) b/c I'm not a fan of the painful bent-neck and my ceilings take about 1/2 hour, like yours. I find them to be my favorite "wall" b/c nothing gets the way! I do climb the ladder and trim the edges and around the lighting by hand with a paintbrush.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! I thought I had given up on painting ceilings...it is just too hard! But after reading this post, I think I can do it again. After all, there is wine and Tylenol available at my house. Thanks for being an inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are like crack, or popcorn with milk duds, I just can't quit them. xoxo, cass

Google Analytics

Link Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

rS tracking code

 

design + development by fabulous k